Sunday 10 January 2016

Game Art week Nine

This week was a continuation of the sentry gun project. I progressed with both visual design and game production. I Carried on with creating the low poly model, we were advised to have already begun modelling earlier and create iterations of basic shapes, However I felt more comfortable to develop my turret in the same way I have done for all my previous projects, which is to develop my visual design ideas first, then move onto creating 3D models. Personally I do not think I makes sense to create 3D models before the design process, as I wouldn't have ideas to model or the 3D model iterations could be scraped, if then your design ideas are completely different, which would waste time.

Before I began creating my 3D model, I copied the side view image of my final design to a photoshop file and cropped to size, I also draw a front view of the fish head and made the same size of the side view image. I opened 3Ds Max and created planes for the reference images I just created in photoshop. I moved then just outside the centre of the grid and edited plane object properties to back face cull and freeze. I then started the turret model, first by strip modelling half of the fish head with planes, then used a symmetry modifier to mirror the half to make a full head. I then created a cylinder for the body which I shaped to reference image, I did the same for the fins and eyes, which made the gun pitch complete. I moved onto the base using cylinders and boxes, while using the reference image as a guide, I also did the same for the horizontal yaw and barrel. I finally modelled the control cox using boxes and cylinders. After finishing the low poly model I could now begin the high poly model, which I will aim to have finished by week 11.
Low poly turret, screen capture from back perspective.

Low poly finished turret, screen capture from front perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment