Wednesday 25 November 2015

Game Art week seven

This week I have begun the new project of the Sentry gun, which I started collecting research material to trigger ideas and add to mood boards. I began researching war diesel punk, insect machines, angel statues, 1940's film cameras. I had too many ideas and couldn't narrow them down to something I was confident I would enjoy developing.

Beginning the sentry gun project, I really wanted to stay away form the typical futuristic, machine sentry gun style. I first played around with a few ideas such as statues, insects and then looked at diesel punk, which lead me to look at The Machines de L'ite, an Amusement park in france where they make giant hydraulic puppets of wood and steel. http://www.lesmachines-nantes.fr/

http://fandulous.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/machines-de-lile-on-ile-de-nantes.html



Sentry gun Mood board

After deciding on my ideas for my sentry gun theme, I began putting together a mood board of images categorised in the base, gun barrel, gun case and materials. I decided I would make the sentry gun mounted inside a sculpted case made form wood and steel. I them began producing silhouettes of the sentry gun case, which I decided to develop the fish case idea as it allows for better iteration in size and shapes. I also liked the idea of using the fins of the fish as shields. After developing my fish case silhouettes, I began developing my sentry gun base and the barrel which would be mounted inside the case. This week I aim to have done 90% of my visual designs done for my sentry gun, so that I can create the high and low poly models, then further develop paint overs and iterations from the models.
Sentry gun Silhouettes

Sentry gun silhouette values
These are the value iterations of the base, horizontal yaw and barrel, which would be fixed to the fish case. The fish case would serve as the gun pitch as it would be covering what would be the gun. I decided to go with an idea which included a control box on the side with lights and cables. This would be visible and attached to the outside of the fish case. Its purpose would be to change settings of the automatic turret, such as speed and accuracy. It also features cooling vents, hydraulics which would lift the turret up and down, if I had time to animate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment