Monday 12 October 2015

Game Production Film Room project

In the first week of Game Art the Film Room group project was assigned. We were split into pre organised groups and began brainstorming ideas for our room scene. After lots of different ideas we all agreed to decide on the kingsman bar/ pub in the beginning fight scene as our film room. I am happy with our groups decision, this makes a good choice, as it has lots of variation in assets to make an interesting scene. Such as the bar, which has different taps, bottles etc, a fire place, dart board and a variety in chairs and tables.



The lighting also makes an interesting and challenging task, with a mixture of lighting sources to work with. There is natural light from the windows through net curtains and artificial lights from lamps and bar lights. Also as it is an enclosed room, the net curtains make it easier to build the scene as we wouldn't have to worry about outside environments. As for building the scene in unreal and 3ds max, I think it is an achievable task, there is enough assets, but the room is not cluttered and has replicated assets.

To begin with, we started collecting reference images, then got to work on an asset list with texture sizes and triangle limits. We then assigned the main assets to each person and began white boxing the scene in unreal, so that we could work out the proportions of the room and sizes of assets. Once this was done the scene was exported as fbx and imported into 3ds max, so everyone could use the white box as a guide to model their asset.



I chose to model the main door and wall of the room, which I began by deleting everything else of the white box apart from the main door/wall. I then gathered on of my reference images and lightened it to abe able to see the details in 3ds max. Which I attached to a plane behind the wall and back face culled. I then created a box the same size of the wall in front of it and moved the white box wall out of the way, so the image plane was behind the new box and I could start modelling. Once I had modelled a basic door and wall under the 1,400 tri limit, I saved it as a low poly version. I continued to create a higher poly version from the low poly one, with details in the panels, so that I cna bake the high poly version onto the low poly with a normal map. Once the hight poly version was done I saved a high poly version, then opened up the low poly to start unwrapping.



No comments:

Post a Comment