Sunday 11 October 2015

Feedback to feedforward

Now that I have progressed onto the second year of Game Art at De Montfort University, I need to reflect back on my first year, so that I can develop as a Game Artist and improve for the future.

To reflect on my first year I need to think of what I thought went well, what didn't go well and how I can improve on these. First of all, I believe my most successful project was the zombie pick-up truck. I felt my visual design and concept work had been the most professional I had achieve from all my projects; I was able to present my final work in a polished layout and create a final piece I was proud of . I was also very happy with the final 3D model of the car, it was a good representation of the concepts and a Toyota pick up truck. I also felt I was quite successful on my building project, I was constantly receiving positive feedback from tutors, which was giving me confidence in my work. I felt like I was achieving the required look of the model overall, in 3D and visuals. I was happy with the final project and didn't encounter any problems during this project. Overall I felt my visual design work went well as I was constantly developing and learning, which helped improve my skills and work.

In my first year a major problem I was constantly having was time management, even though I was able to finish all projects in time and to a good standard I was happy with, there moments when I could of given myself more time to work on something extra to improve it or develop it further. for example I really struggled with rigging in my character project, I gave my character a long skirt and I found that rigging it was difficult. I tried my best and looked at lots of tutorials, but did not get it rigged properly in time for the hand in date, furthermore, if Id given myself more time at the end I could of work out how to rig properly or asked for more help. which leads to my next point, I also felt a lot of aspects in my 3D work did not go so well, such as unwrapping and rigging, these are both something I need to improve to be a better Game Artist. Also a personal note about what didn't go so well on my first year, was making sure I was able to get enough sleep so that I could get up to commute to University. I struggled to sleep a lot last year and need to make sure I change this so that I don't become ill and can be alert for lessons.

Considering my first year, what went well and not so well. I am going to approach my new year in a better way, I am going to make better use of time management to make sure I get the work done with plenty of time. I will also aim to learn more about 3D modelling and engines, I need to be able to get a better grasp of my tools of work, which I will watch tutorials and ask help from tutors.

No comments:

Post a Comment